Sunday 19 July 2015

There's no greater competition than yourself


I did it. I did a half marathon. This was originally on The List with a question mark as I really didn't know if it would be achievable. But it was, and I did it.

It took a few long runs in preparation, and a training plan which Tim drew up which worked with his shifts. I did think, on a number of occasions, while out on the longer runs, that it had been a mistake to sign up. But I got through the training runs and just about the day itself.
My friend Hayley (above), who, as I type, is currently cycling around Bolton on IronManUK, ran too but as part of her training for IronMan. She had offered words of wisdom throughout the training and build up, including running 11 miles instead of 10 as my final long run - just so my head knew that on the day it was only 2 miles "home". She stayed to cheer me over the finish line.

I ran it all, (I did not come here to walk!) but a bit slower than I'd hoped, but it was rather warm on the day - with no wind at all! Maybe I've now got the bug. Shall I do another one, to aim to complete at the pace of my training runs? Shall I do more 10k runs in the hope that I will one day get under an hour?

As I heard someone say once, "There's no greater competition than yourself".


No comments:

Post a Comment