Wednesday 10 December 2014

So it begins

Here's the mission. It's nothing too fancy, just want to get round to a few things rather than just wondering, dreaming or saying "maybe one day". Life is too short.
My list of things to do before I'm 40 isn't so much of a bucket list, or a list of big things to see and do. More of a list of things I have fancied doing/wanted to do for a while, but not actually got round to them, or had the motivation. There's no "see Niagra Falls", or "Trek the Inca Trail", which, of course, I'd love to do, but in reality these things will not happen in the next 3 years. Neither funds or small children will really allow. 
There's a few cooking things, a few travel things, a few physical challenges, and a few randoms. The physical things are perhaps the hardest - for me anyway, and will need much preparation. For example, I have a half marathon on there. At the time, this seemed a good idea, with most people around me being into running, and doing many motivational things to do with running, but now I am not too sure. Another is to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. I have attempted this twice before, and failed on both occasions. But combining this with getting fit enough for a half marathon, hopefully I will be able to achieve this. 
The cooking things are perhaps not too hard in comparison. I'd like to cook venison steak - my favourite meat. I'd like to get over my fear of ruining shellfish in the cooking process and have a go at Coquilles Saint-Jacques, or another scallop recipe. Also poaching pears should be simple enough (I hope) but I've never done it. The thing of cooking something from all the recipe books we own may prove a little more difficult though. But pears, scallops, and venison probably all feature in there somewhere.
The travel ones will need some planning, but most are within reach. Going to Venice is the most extravagant thing on my list, and maybe Paris. But then again, Paris is only a train ride away.... Others include several places in Scotland (possibly our favourite holiday destination of the moment) and places around Yorkshire, where I grew up. You never actually act like a tourist in your home town. But why not?
The randoms include reading Lord of The Rings. Never did it. Think I should. Especially before watching any of the films. Also to give blood. Again, never done it. But really there's no reason not to (at least I think that is the case).

The full list is on my pinterest, and as soon as I figure out how to link there from here I will!

I thought about blogging about the list and what it takes to do it, mainly as a diary, but also to keep things focused. So here is my first post on my 37th birthday. 

Currently there are 39 things on my list, and I was aiming for 40. But let's see what the next few years bring.

Best get started.....




2 comments:

  1. I hope learning to knit is still on the list! I'll help you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, still on there! Looking forward to it x

    ReplyDelete